peace, love, and having a mind of your own


















i refuse to look at life through the lens of tradition.
i refuse to believe everything i am told.
i refuse to live a life that doesn't promote peace, love, and having a mind of your own.

11 February 2011

“I’m f-*king awesome!!”

Sometimes you just have to scream that to yourself in the car on a mid-February night when you’re in the midst of a serious case of the WTF-am-I-doing-with-my-life-s… or at least I do. That was my state of affairs last night as I drove home from the gym. I was congratulating myself on being, um, awesome… because I had exercised my muscles instead of loitering at home perusing the Internet between trips to the fridge.

You see, normally, I’m all about getting down on myself. I finish doing something and then tell myself, I could have done more, I could have done it better, I could have worked harder, etc. etc. Last night was no exception, and while vacating the smelly sweatbox where I’d just spent the last 2 hours, I dispatched my standard round of criticism: condemning myself because I only accomplished half of what was on my to-do list that day, agonizing that if I could just get to the gym more often I would sleep better and feel better and not be depressed ever, and blah blah blah... and that’s when it hit me. I’m such a nag! No wonder I don’t get anything done, if afterwards I just make myself feel like crap about how much I didn’t accomplish.

It was one of those striking revelations that immediately produced change. So the next thing I know I’m sashaying into my car, getting all pumped up about how I’m gonna change my attitude, finding the loudest song I can blast through the stereo, and screaming like a nut-job. I think it went something like this:

Woooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Yeaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!

I’m f-*king AWESOMMMME!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I sure hope I didn’t scare anybody in the parking lot.

Actually I don’t care if I did scare people, I felt phenomenal afterward! You should try it sometime. Maybe you could omit the F word if that’s not your thing, but roaring your awesomeness is absolutely necessary. In fact, I am challenging you to do this.

I want you to think of some positive affirmations to say [or scream] out loud to yourself, declaring your value and acknowledging your own accomplishments. You must say them out loud; there’s power in your voice. If you don’t want everyone thinking you’re a creeper for talking to yourself, you could do this while blow-drying your hair, vacuuming, or some other obnoxiously loud activity. Find whatever works for you, just do it.

Here are some more declarations I think are just fabulous. Feel free to use these as a jumping off point until you come up with your own.

I am a goddess, not a doormat.

[All you gentleman readers should stick with something manly. Try "I'm a warrior" or something... This one is for the ladies, but don't worry, you can participate in the rest.]

Picasso said,

“For me there are only two types of women: goddesses and doormats.”

I am so sick of women bending over backwards for the approval of men. Ladies, approve of yourselves first! Then find a man who appreciates your God-given exquisiteness. Do you realize that you were made to resemble and be like the highest power that exists? [That would be God, ya’ll.] The big man himself spent time and effort and thought creating you, ever so artfully, exactly the way you are. You're a piece of Him. And there are no bad pieces of God, he’s alllll goodness. So you’re beautiful. Start acting like it.

I am outrageously loved.

It doesn’t matter what you do, you can never earn or un-earn God’s love. He loves you because he loves you, not because of who you are, but because that’s who he is. God IS love. He can’t even help it. In spite of your circumstances, the catastrophic state of the world, and perhaps your own cynicism, you need to believe this: he loves you. Your belief in this statement will be evidence of its truth. Believe it. Be loved.

Nothing can defeat me, because God is on my side.

God is fighting for you, he wants you to be a winner, and he is ready to blow your mind to shrapnel with the wild, ridiculous things he can do for you… if you let him. Seriously, it’s absurd how much God loves us and wants our lives to be amazing. And it’s equally absurd how often we allow ourselves to become overwhelmed, unhappy, discouraged or unsatisfied with life. If that's you [and you're with me], stop being such a pussy! God is on your side, stand up and fight with him! Don't let life get you down. Know that you’re un-freaking-stoppable!!

I have permission to _____________.

... stop faking it and express the way I'm really feeling.

... care less about pleasing everyone, and say “no” when I need to.

... have great days and bad days.

... both shamelessly succeed and flamboyantly fail.

... change my mind a million times or until I get it right. Even about important things.

You know what? It's called being human. Give yourself and everyone around you permission to be honest, to mess up, to learn from their mistakes, and to do great things.

Wherever I am, that’s where the party is.

Stop thinking you’re missing out on anything. You’re not. All you have is right here, right now, so you better start working with it. If your life isn’t a party, start planning one! Seriously, what are you waiting for? You aren’t promised a tomorrow, so do whatever it takes to enjoy your todays! Figure out what you’re passionate about. Have a fantastic adventure. Change the world. Help someone out. Start living large, right now. [I’m not talking MTV Cribs large, I’m talking Ephesians 3: 20 large.] As C.S. Lewis put it,

“In the present alone, all duty, all grace, all knowledge and all pleasure dwell.”

Understand that your life is for enjoying, and don't waste another second wishing you were at someone else's party. Yours is where it's at.



I don’t know about you, but I feel f*-king spectacular! What are your favorite things to tell yourself when you need a boost?? Let’s hear em!

13 comments:

  1. Hannah Vitkus sent me your way. Thank you so much for writing this. I really needed to hear this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is a refreshing, positive reminder that we spend too much time thinking of the negative. I'm not sure I have something specific I tell myself, but in the car with my music blaring, I feel like the fucking man. Drumming along to every beat. Singing every word. Its an amazing release.

    On another note (not to be a negative Nancy), I have a hard time reading the actual writing due to the transparency behind the text. Your background is awesome (a picture you took?), but the sun washes out the white text. Maybe reducing the transparency a little would help? Just a suggestion.

    I'll be spending more time reading your stuff, reminding myself I need to write more for my blog. Thank you, Keturah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @erinoscope- Hannah is such a sweetheart! Glad you were encouraged by this :)

    @Kevin- Thanks for the kind words and the critique-- the white text always shows up great on my computer, but I was thinking about changing the background anyway, so thanks for speaking up. I love that you "feel like the fucking man" in your car, haha :) Let me know when you've got blogs to share, yours seems to be "private" at the moment.

    Peace and Love to you both

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I haven't ignored your question about Spain... but this blog you wrote kinda sums a lot of it up! He first loved us. That has been huge for me. Oh and I'm not sure if you have seen this but this girl has got it at a young age. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  5. I freaking love this.

    I will say it again - you are an amazing writer and will touch a lot of lives through that gift!

    Oh and this was some great encouragement for me to hear right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh this is incredible stuff!!! I too cuss in my declarations (while drying my hair). This was a fabulous peek into your head - beautiful inside and out! Praying for you girl! I am prophesying over my life every day! Let's do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't ever think I could bring myself to shout in public, but I'll just think positive things really loudly =)

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Nate- thanks, as always, for your kind words! you make me want to keep writing.

    @Allison- i definitely got the blow-drying idea from your blog [i linked to it too] so thanks! and your comment reminded me that I never responded to your email, i'll get on that!

    @Whitney- there's power in speaking things out loud! it doesn't have to be shouting or in public, but even speaking them to yourself in a regular voice is good. either way, thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't even know you, but you are awesome!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For instance "Wherever I am, that’s where the party is." hahaha love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jen- i bet you're pretty darn awesome as well :)

    ReplyDelete