peace, love, and having a mind of your own


















i refuse to look at life through the lens of tradition.
i refuse to believe everything i am told.
i refuse to live a life that doesn't promote peace, love, and having a mind of your own.

25 January 2011

another crazy idea.

This is what’s going on in my heart right now. It doesn’t make any sense, and to be honest, the last thing I want to do is post all my ridiculous thoughts into a blog for everyone I know to roll their eyes at.

So, for as long as I can remember I have wanted to do music.  Write songs. Create. Sing. Play an instrument. And for as long as I can remember I have been too scared to put myself out there and learn how to do any of those things! I’ve made excuses and claimed to be talent-less and watched other [braver] people carry away my dream.

A little over a year ago I gave my life to Jesus [best decision I’ve ever made] and since then have been captivated with the idea of worship. My favorite thing in the whole world to do is worship God through music. If I could do that every day for the rest of my life, I would be a happy girl. It frustrated me to no end that I had to depend on other people to bring music into my day for me to experience God in that way. I began praying that I could learn to sing and play guitar so that I could worship any time and place I wanted. But still, I was too afraid to work for this dream. If I failed, I would be crushed.

So, two months ago when I got home from the World Race, one of the girls in my small group gave me a guitar. She said, “Take this and learn, give it back whenever you’re done with it.” Timidly, I took it home and began working on chord progressions and figuring out how to play songs. Much to my surprise, I can actually pull it off. I can play songs. ME! Playing songs! On a guitar!


Now don’t get too excited, I’m not that good yet, but I am going to pursue this dream. I am going to learn everything I can about how to worship the Lord through music. And I thought you all should know.

By the way, everything in me is like, “Don’t post this blog! Everyone will laugh at you! You can’t be a musician! That’s silly!” Which is exactly why I need to publicly express that I recognize this to be a lie from the devil himself, and I’m- publicly- laughing in his face.

12 comments:

  1. Keturah, we serve a Huge and Mighty God. I mean how many people accept Christ as their Saviour and within months are out bringing kingdom on the world race. He has big plans for you. I love that you are learning to play guitar, I know God is pleased with your worship. Praying for you as you step out in Faith. Love You, Mom Cave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me of the truth, being an encouragement, and all your prayers Mom Cave! You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO IT!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!!
    I most whole-heartedly support this idea.
    Can't think of much that would suit you better.
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weathers I think your way cool! Praying that God would provide and continue to open that door! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is freaking amazing. You continually blow me away - way to put yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books, Tash, and Nate...
    Love you all! (SO MUCH!!) Thanks for reading and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't laughing at you. I just got a kick out of the way you wrote the blog. You know I want you to play (my) guitar and sing and worship. I love your voice and your boldness. I love your blogs. You are awesome. You are God's wonderfully made child and He has given you a very creative spirit and I want to see you cultivate that creativity. I will gladly donate to the cause. Don't be mad. I love you. dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest i think its a fantastic idea Keit!.....i saw you with a guitar while you are with the M-squad in Kenya...and you played it while people were singing along in the living room at your Kisumu home.....i thought you were a musician then...i still do!!!!....go for it dada!....besides...it runs it the family! :o)..ha!....big love (Moses Ondeche)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been patiently waiting and waiting for you to join the family band and I fully support your dream lil keeter

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very creative person you seem 2 me! No idea is crazy if you love it & live for it :)

    http://discoverlifestyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE it!! Dream BIG and don't stop! You have a beautiful voice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keet
    This is my first comment I have giving on a blog. I was so impressed with the way you express your feelings with your writing that I decided to use your blog as my daily devotional. My focus in life has been blurred and your writing is making it so much clearer. "I recognize this to be a lie from the devil himself, and I’m- publicly- laughing in his face." I copied that quote from your post . One of the most profound statements I have ever read. I will never forget it!! Just what Screwtape doesnt want us to figure out. lol I love it!!!!
    Now I must go wipe the tears from my eyes, grab Dixie for a walk and take on the day. Humm just what a daily devotional is for. Cant wait till tomorrow.

    TB and DIXIE

    ReplyDelete